Thursday, January 29, 2009

Late birthdays, Abandoned

This morning, as I was surfing the Internet for things about speculative fiction, I found this site. It’s an interesting read. KV Taylor blogs her thoughts about various spec fic writings she has found, and what she thinks about them.

Then, as I clicked back and back through her archives, jotting down notes about one writer or another I’d like to check out, I found… myself!

Here is what the blogger had to say last year about my short story “God Corp.,” which appeared in The Opinion Guy’s issue 13:

“Next up, sci-fi. I was going through the current issue of OG’s Speculative Fiction, and in spite of the fact that it’s a poetry issue, was struck by Irene Pynn’s God Corp. [link goes to .pdf] Look for it on pg 7. This made me particularly happy because it has a lot of classic sci-fi themes happening, but they don’t feel like a rehash. She’s making you care. Plus, it has time travel, god, and Shakespeare. I mean, what more do you want?”

That was some nice praise I had totally missed when the story was first made public. It was great to see today! Like a late birthday present.

After that, I continued avoiding my necessary plot work by narcissistically Googling myself. Only I wasn’t Googling. I was Pipling myself. I suppose that’s what we’ll call it. Twitter was all abuzz today about this site, and for good reason; it’s a fun tool.

The thing that really made me laugh was that, as soon as I Pipled myself, I clicked through a few pages and found (you guessed it), our blogger friend whom I mentioned a few paragraphs above. That was enough of a coincidence to make me send her a thank-you email for brightening my day… twice.

The fact that all my web surfing kept bringing me back to information about my own writing meant – I decided – that I really ought to be plotting instead. So I made some final decisions about the book I’ll be doing in February, grabbed some late breakfast, and then talked to myself (yes, out loud) about my protagonist while I drove across town.

And now I feel very happy to announce that, on February 1, I will begin writing a book I tentatively call Abandoned.

That is all.

1 comment:

Diane Turnshek said...

And I should have piplinged you before I left that Facebook comment. Oh, hi! You had no mutual friends from Seton Hill on your Facebook list; that's what threw me. I read Heidi's Pick Six--nice interview!
Happy to connect with you.

~Di